Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Beach Bunnies

Oh how I love the beach.
I was born in San Louis Obispo, and then spent many of my childhood years living in Huntington beach, and grew up with constant sand in my pants. Literally. I was baptized in the waters of Oceanside, and spent my older years going to the beaches of Carlsbad, Oceanside and San Diego. I wish you could go back to the days where it didn't bother you to have sand in every crevice of your body, and your hair was all sticky from the salt water, and there was this tiny crunch of sand in your mouth when you would eat the sandwiches and food that you brought. Those were the carefree days, and that is the beach lifestyle.
As a mom, I now realize the work that goes into a family beach day, and the planning and organizing of towels and toys... and now I realize how hard it is to keep the kids from getting sand all over me and the clean towels... but I guess that's all part of the charm. My poor husband, who cringes at the sand fiasco in the car when we leave the beach, would argue otherwise ;).
But nothing gives me greater joy than seeing my kids enjoy the things in life that I enjoyed when I was their age.
I have a feeling that San Diego will always be our second home, and I am so grateful that my parents still live there so that we can have our little escape there anytime we need it!
* please excuse the quality of pics here- I tried zooming with my iPhone, but it turned out kinda grainy. And don't even think that I would bring my 10 pound Nikon baby to the beach... makes me squirm just thinking about it! *

Ty, in typical boy form, just like the dig mud. And then dig some more. And who knows why...

We brought the boogie boards, so John decided he was going to teach Bella how to catch her own waves and boogie board to shore.

We also built a pretty epic sand castle... and this is John celebrating when the wave washed up and filled the moat he built. I'm not sure who is more excited... him or the kids. I think him.

And Ty put his shovel to good use by digging up sand crabs. I couldn't get him to touch it with his hands though ;)

Bella takes after her mom, and enjoys relaxing on the towels and soaking up some sunshine :) I just love my girl.

Next up - a few funny pictures from Disneyland! ...

1 comment:

Jenna Jill said...

What? You were born in SLO? I didn't know that. Crazy. Were you born at French Hospital?