Monday, December 29, 2008

Christmas Pajamas

Every Christmas Eve since I can remember, my parents would tell Emily and I that we could open "just one" present (we had a tradition of opening presents Christmas morning- so to us, this was a big deal). We always got so excited as we ripped open our own box. But excitement soon turned to disappointment when we saw what lay inside.....matching pajamas. Now, let me just say that although it is very amusing to parents to see your kids in matching pj's, it's not cool when you are 14 and your 8 year old little sister is matching you. But we eventually got over it- and actually started to look forward to what mom came up with each year.
Did I mention that she makes the pajamas?! That's right. Homemade matching pajamas...even better :)
As the years have gone on, mom has added to her project. When John and I were engaged, he spent his first Christmas with the Riolo family- and got his first pair of homemade pajamas. I don't have any pictures- but lets just say she wasn't quite sure how to sew pants for someone 6 foot 8. And the the following year, she tried to correct the mistake by making pajamas for someone 8 foot 8! Finally, 7 Christmas's later, she has perfected his size.
Anyway, now our kids are the beneficiaries of the pajama tradition. So here's this years' pj's....good job mom! :)

4 comments:

emily morgan said...

YAY Christmas Pj's!!! We actually all look really cute in this picture. Oh the memories...

~Em

The Abram Family said...

Cute jammies! I'm very impressed with your mothers sewing skills!

Aunt Sharon said...

Over the years my p.j making has been a true labor of love. Every minute spent at the sewing machine gave me time to meditate on the amazing blessings in my life( my two beautiful daughters Bri & Emily) What a joy and a priveledge
it has been to watch God multiple that blessing allowing my jammie making to now include a wonderful son-in law and two gorgeous grandchildren. I love you all.
Christmas Hugs,
Mom

Wayne & Shawna said...

What a great family tradition! Your mom did a wonderful job! You all look so good it that picture!