Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Mystery Fruit

Can anyone tell me what the heck these are??

Last spring I noticed a small tree on the side of our house was producing some fruit. I cut one open but it was still green an unripe, so I couldn't tell what it was. It had tons of little seeds in the middle- kind of like a kiwi or some tropical fruit of some sort. But before they could fully ripen, our gardeners accidentally trimmed the tree back and they were gone!

So finally its spring again, and my mystery fruit are beginning to appear! They are still small and hard, so I'll keep checking on them as they ripen. Hopefully I can get to the bottom of this mystery tree.

Here are a few pieces of information that could help-

* It blooms small white flowers
*It only blooms in the Spring
* It doesn't lose its leaves in the winter
* It grows next to our grapefruit and lemon/lime hybrid tree (I call those limons!)

Let me know if you can help me figure it out!
Also, here's a pretty picture of my new Hibiscus that bloomed :)

1 comment:

Wayne & Shawna said...

The first photo made me think of a cross between a lemon and a pear, but the second did look as much like that to me. You have me stumped! Maybe pick a piece and bring it into a nursey and see if someone there would know. Looks very interesting! Good luck!