Sunday, September 6, 2009

New Hobby...New Fun....New Frustration.

If there is one thing I loooove to do- it is taking pictures of our kids. I have volumes of albums, each with way too many pictures..but I treasure every one of them. I personally love going through old pictures of my childhood (and I love looking at John's pictures..especially his hair back then!) so I know I'll never regret taking too many pictures. There is no such thing as too many. So John decided to truly spoil me with a little piece of heaven on my birthday by giving me a new camera! Not just any camera, a very fancy one that makes me feel so grown-up and professional :-)
But not so fast. If I really felt professional, then that would mean I feel like I know what I'm doing- or that I feel confident in my computer/photoshop skills...and it would especially mean that I could understand every confusing mumbo-jumbo word in my new camera's user manual. But I don't. I have the excitement, eagerness and passion....but it's like staring at a giant wall knowing that I really want to get over the wall....I just don't know how. Better yet- I feel defeated looking at how huge and intimidating the wall appears.
And complicating the situation is my *need* for organization. I can't focus on enjoying my new hobby when the office is a mess- when papers aren't filed and when the computer's memory is so clogged up that it can't handle the picture files. I am craving a little sanctuary just for me. A calm, soothing place where I can go to get away from the hectic house and noise, turn on music and enjoy a little time playing with pictures. A place where I have everything organized and the desk is clean and inviting me to relax.
But for now, I'll take a little piece of time here and there. It may be a while before I can create the office of my dreams, so I'm trying to put my big long wish-list on the back burner so that I can enjoy little moments of pleasure like the intense monsoon we had the other day...Bella just had to run out and feel the pouring rain. And I, of course, had to take a picture of it :-)
It's hard to see the rain pouring on her, but it's not hard to see the look of joy on her face! And today she let me play around with her as I practiced with the new camera...
And it just wouldn't be complete without my little man posing in a few pictures
And now, with kids all tucked into bed, I'm off to go clean my terribly messy house and make a weekly meal-plan for grocery shopping tomorrow.
No rest for the weary :-)

5 comments:

The Abram Family said...

Seriously, you have always taken the most amazing pictures, I can't imagine them being EVEN better! But I can't wait to watch you learn and grow at something you are already so good at!

The Abram Family said...

PS: Allie will be your model ANYtime!

nanabanana said...

Bri - I meant to tell you that the Pioneer Woman's blog has a photo section and she puts up lots of photo tips etc. you may find helpful. thepioneerwoman.com.
Becky

Jenna Jill said...

The pictures look GREAT Bri. I purchased my first Apple computer last year and it ROCKS with photos. I bought the Aperture photo program and it is awesome. You definitely have an eye for photography. Keep it up. I really like the rain pic. Too cute!

samleejackson said...

You show great natural skill. I know enough about photography to recognize natural talent when I see it. You go girl!