Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Oh My Gosh..Am I A Soccer Mom?!!

It happened this week.I got one step closer to driving a minivan, wearing "sensible" shoes, and cheering like a mad woman from the sidelines.
Bella started her very first soccer team. *(Let the stereotypical images begin)
It's a beginners' team for 4 & 5 year olds, and Bella nearly missed the deadline by turning 4 a week or so after the mandatory date. But she was able to squeeze by- and she joined the team with her older cousin Marley (which is pretty much the only way we got her to do it). She's not a newcomer to activities by any means. She's done gymnastics for years, ballet and tap, cooking classes, swim lessons and tumble classes. But this is her first "official" organized sport, and her first experience being part of a 'team'. I'll just go ahead and be honest- I'm not really into turning my sweet little Bella into some "tough" girl. John and I even joke that we have a list of so-called "approved" sports we want her to play. You know what I mean. But teaching kids about teamwork, discipline, good sportsmanship and respecting coaches is something we think gives them valuable life lessons. Plus, it's too darn cute to see my curly-haired little girl wearing the smallest shin guards and tinniest cleats (in pink of course!) I've ever seen :-)

So here we go...
Super proud and anxious mom? Check.
Cooler with CapriSun's and water bottles? Check.
Dusty pop-up camping chairs for the sidelines? Check.
Minivan....no way.
And sensible shoes?? Me?! That one is laughable ;-)

So I guess I'm not a full-fledged soccer mom just yet. Maybe I'm one in training.
But the day some bigger girl or boy on the other team pummels my little Bella......

Look Out.

4 comments:

The Abram Family said...

Oh you just wait until Matt and I are out there at her games...we will be sporting signs, team colors and will contribute greatly to the cheering and yelling. We can't wait!!!

Amanda said...

I love it! I can't wait to see you screaming at the umpire for making a bad call! We'd love to come to one of her games! Especially with the weather being so nice.....perfect soccer game weather :)

Wayne & Shawna said...

Oh my gosh she is sooo cute in her little shin guards! Maybe you can convert all of the other mom's into wearing non-sensible shoes and trading in their minivans for "cool" cars! LOL
Great photos!!
Miss ya!

Wayne & Shawna said...

PS: I can totally picture Matt & Heather out there on the sidelines screaming and cheering! :)