Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Little Treasures.

Have you ever noticed that kids have no concept of value? I could buy Bella the most expensive collectors edition Barbie, and she would be just as equally thrilled with a new lip gloss from the 99cent isle at Target. When we go to the Pediatricians' office, both kids gasp and squeal with sheer delight when they get to pick out a sticker. They forget the fact that they are sick or have just gotten a shot- and instead they focus all their attention on their new found little piece of treasure. What a great attitude!
I've been convicted lately to stop the "I wish I had..." or the "If Only..." disease. Even if I had all the things that I think I need (scratch that- things I want), there will always be something or someone bigger and better, right? So when does the cycle end? When will I jump up and down and squeal with delight like my kids, over the things I already have? My girls' bible study knows about this all too well. We just finished a book that we read together about contentment. So with them as my witnesses and accountability, I am vowing to start finding the joy and appreciation in the little treasures in my life.
So here are a few little treasures I've come across today...
Our Family- How can I start an appreciation list without putting this first??My Job- Yes, as much as I dread going to work sometimes, I feel like God specifically picked this profession just for me. Becoming a NICU nurse was one of the greatest decisions I have ever made. **Sidenote** This picture was taken of me when I was doing my NICU clinical rotation in college- I look so young! I think I was 19 in this picture....it feels like yesterday!**A small Summertime treasure- Concord Grapes. They only appear in stores for two months during the year, and I just about bought every carton when I saw them in the store yesterday. Concord grapes and pomegranates are my all-time favorite. I almost made myself sick yesterday eating too many...And my latest treasure for today- secondhand clothes. My sister has vowed to only buy secondhand clothing for an entire year. Brave girl. While I don't share in her dedication- I do enjoy the concept of finding small treasures hidden among all the racks. And a great way to save money too! So Em and I browsed a second-hand store today on a whim (we only had a few minutes so we had to make is fast..) and viola!! Within minutes, we both pulled adorable black vintage cocktail dresses....in our size!!! And I use the term "vintage" loosely. I think they were probably designed in the late 80's or early 90's, but they are fantastic. They fit us both like a glove, then we switched and tried on each others' dresses and they fit perfectly! Yay for sister's sharing clothes! And can you believe that one of them was nine dollars?! I kid you not!(Obviously not a picture of our vintage dresses, but I liked it none the less. And I could just sit and drool over the wood paneling in the room...love it)
So there you have it.
Hope you enjoy some small treasures today. The kids are down for a nap, so I'm going to go enjoy some cold concord grapes :-)

6 comments:

emily morgan said...

Who knew second-hand shopping could be so fabulous?!? And cheep too!! I cant wait till we wear our dresses! Love you sister!

debra@dustjacket said...

Hi there,
Thank you so much for coming by and leaving a comment. So lovely.

Your sister Emily and yourself look like models, seriously.

Loved looking over your posts, your family are so cute :)

Drop by again,
xxxx

Amanda said...

I am so inspired by your post of changed and new perspectives! We all need to be thankful for what we have in our lives, and today you've motivated me to do just that!

love you!

Morgan said...

So true Bri...we always seem to want bigger and better when what we are given is exactly what we need and want...just goes to show that we are not truly the ones that know best!

Yule said...

Thanks fo your sweet comment on my blog! Love you!

Wayne & Shawna said...

Great post! Have you guys been over to A Second Look on 32st / Shea? They have a lot of clothes and I found an awesome pair of jeans for $5!! I really enjoy going there.
See ya tomorrow night! Have a great day! :)