Thursday, October 8, 2009

The other morning I was privileged to spend time with a marvelous woman.
A woman who has a heart of giving, contentment and wisdom.
She makes me feel at ease and safe in her presence. Wouldn't that be a wonderful thing for someone to feel about you? That they feel safe in your presence. She isn't bothered by what other people may think or say about her- she is a woman who extends grace and true compassion whenever she speaks.
When I talk to her, she listens. Really listens.
She isn't interested in the latest gossip or dishing on so-and-so.....which is a dagger of conviction to my own soul. Gossip disguised as just "casual female conversation" can often creep its way out of my own mouth- but my friends' quiet peace has inspired me to strive for better, more uplifting words. When I am around her, I am reminded again and again of all the things I find beautiful in her. The fruits of the spirit? She has them. All of them.
I am never worried that I will walk away and she will repeat personal parts of conversation. I am never worried that she will think any less of me when I express concerns and feelings to her.
A while back, my girls' bible study all read the book Captivating. During many discussion questions about the women in our own lives, my mind kept returning to this particular woman. I find this passage from the book to fit her precisely:

"That is what true beauty says, All shall be well.
This is what it is like to be with a woman at rest, a woman comfortable in her feminine beauty. She is enjoyable to be with. She is lovely. In her presence your heart stops holding its breath. You relax and believe once again that all will be well. A woman who's heart is at rest, invites others to rest."

What a beautiful description! I want to leave that kind of legacy. I want to be known for making people feel at ease and safe in my presence. What a privilege to have such a godly woman to admire and learn from! Sometimes I am too busy with work, kids, activities, my house, my friends, our family commitments and my own agenda, that I become a woman of chaos. A woman who thrives on being busy busy busy. I personally know women in my life who are harsh and cold and have no patience for those who can't do as much as she can in a day. But upon closer examination, I have also seen that those women do not have deep friendships. They have many acquaintances, but not deep connections with other women. They never slow down enough to be vulnerable and be still.

I know my sweet friend reads this blog :-) So this is my way of thanking you for our years of friendship. In my pursuit of things, I often lose sight of Christ and my true purpose as a godly woman. Thank you for helping me re-direct my eyes.
To take another quote from Captivating,

"Most women define themselves in terms of their relationships, and the quality they deem those relationships to have. This is not a weakness in women- it is a glory. A glory that reflects the heart of God."

No comments: