Thursday, June 25, 2009

Brianna and the Terrible. No Good. Very Bad Day.

Today is not a good day.
I worked last night so I am exhausted, my house is a mess, and I really need a shower (or long bath). I awoke from sleeping today only to hear that Farrah Fawcett had died. So sad about that. Cancer has a deeper meaning to my life, so I think it's so sad when it takes a previously-healthy life. Then, John comes home and tell me to turn on the news- only to find that Michael Jackson had died! Like an Elvis to our generation- he was a legend. I don't have a particularly strong connection to him, but I still feel a weird emptiness and sadness about it. He was only 50- and he has like 4 kids! And it was so sudden....so shocking.
Then comes a double whammy to my poor little heart....Shaq has been traded. Stoudemire is next.
Yes Amare, it is true.
What??!! I have been a Suns fan for only 8 years- which is when I met John of course. Here's a little known fact for some of you....our first date was to a pre-season Suns game at the San Diego Sports Arena! It's been love ever since. With the Suns that is (OK, and John too). So I have agonized right alongside John as we watch the Suns peak and then slowly crumble to a non-playoff making mess of politics and egos. I still have a flame burning for my beloved Steve Nash (who by the way said hi to me at the gym!..OK, I said hi first, and I probably looked neurotic with a big ol' goofy smile on my face. But I like to think that the moment was special). And another side note- when we moved to Scottsdale, I celebrated my love for the Suns by buying my first jersey ever....yup- Shawn Marion. That didn't turn out so well either.
I was devastated when we traded him for Shaq. The era of "run n' gun" Suns was officially over.
We all knew this was how it would turn out. **Sigh** But I still hung in there with a glimmer of hope in my eye. A true fan sticks by their side even during really dumb decisions. Now we've traded our old, ready-to-retire, expensive player for.....drum roll please.....a player who is also old, also ready to retire, and didn't even put up the kind of numbers Shaq put up this season! As my eye begins to twitch and I'm fuming out of half exhaustion and half frustration with the Suns....John announces that he hears Amare will be gone tomorrow. Dagger to my soul. Even worse- there is a possibility Barbosa will be gone too. What is happening here?! Just who are The Phoenix Suns going to be??
I should wrap this up before I digress any further. I have a house to clean, kids to put to bed, a shower to take, a Shawn Marion jersey to sell on eBay....and now I suppose I should also go get rid of my favorite Shaq underwear.
Gotcha for a minute :-)

No comments: