Friday, December 11, 2009

Building a Legacy.


I do my best thinking when I clean.
I know it seems weird, but when the kids are napping and the house is quiet, I listen to music on my iphone as I start doing chores around the house. The music selection always depends on the mood I'm in....so does the floor cleaning {I've been known to take out frustration on my poor wood floors. The good news is- they end up sparkling clean!}
Sometimes I think aloud, sometimes I go over my to-do lists in my mind, sometimes I spend my quiet time praying as I clean, and sometimes I'm just quiet and let my mind wander.
My best friends and I are currently reading a book together called "Discerning the Voice of God" by Priscilla Shirer, and it has been opening my eyes {and mind} to really listening when I feel God might be talking to me.
Those of you who know me well, know that I can talk. Really talk. So the art of quieting myself and truly listening has been a hard discipline to learn.
Today as I cleaned I listened to Nichole Nordeman's song "Legacy", and a little light went off in my mind.
What legacy and I leaving my kids? My husband? Among my family and friends?
I haven't quite figured out my thoughts on the details just yet...but maybe this is the beginning of a New Years resolution. From this day on- to be purposeful and aware of the legacy we are building as a family, and for our kids.
Last week John sent me a text from work, with a link to a fun activity he found. It was an overnight stay up in the snow, and a real train ride with Santa on the "Polar Express" for the kids. He knows how much Tyler LOVES trains, and he thought Ty and Bella would just flip over such a fun night together as a family. He told me to go look and it online and see what I thought. He followed it by saying,

"It's a little expensive, but I think it's worth it. It would be awesome".

That's what I'm talking about. Building a legacy.
Making family time a priority.
And that is why I love that man so much

No comments: